The systems approach understands water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) not as infrastructure development and deployment of local committees, but involves a wide network of actors and factors to provide a total package of a WASH service through them. Thus, the approach opens up new perspectives on development cooperation, focusing on sustainability and thus the long-term independence of the systems.
The 2-day seminar on November 23rd and 24th, 2023 will shed light from different perspectives on how systems redesign or strengthening is done in practice and which components are part of the systems approach (incl. local government, private sector, community actors, etc.). The seminar is mainly held in German. Partial presentations and/or contributions may be given in English.
- Changing mindsets: from a project to a systems approach to WASH interventions
- WASH as a service
- Relevant systems in government and non-government for the WASH sector at micro, meso, and macro levels
- Importance of collective action for systems
- Methods for capturing entry points within a system (building blocks)
- Global actors and their approaches to system strengthening
Aim of the seminar
The seminar will enable participants to design and implement WASH interventions that consider and strengthen existing structures and systems as part of the solution. Participants will learn the basics of the systems approach and gain an overview of key global actors and their systems-relevant methods in WASH interventions. System-relevant assessment methods will be applied and tested in exercises.
- Prior knowledge of the topic is helpful, but not necessary.
- The target audience for this seminar is staff of non-governmental organizations and interested individuals.
- We will contact you prior to the seminar to tailor the content to your needs.
- The seminar is designed for 20-25 participants.
Tariff 1: Students / unemloyment benefits-recipients 90 €
Tariff 2: Employees / volunteers of NGOs 240 €
Tariff 3: Governmental institutions / Private sector / Freelance consultants 490 €
The seminar is sponsored by ENGAGEMENT GLOBAL with funds from the BMZ. However, the German Toilet Organization e. V. has to contribute its own share, which will be supplemented by participation fees. Included in this fee are
- the participation in the seminar
- all seminar documents
- catering, hot and cold drinks
- a final certificate
Further information on the preliminary seminar schedule is available for download in the information sheet.
The registration deadline for the seminar is November 12, 2023.
Participants are requested to independently and truthfully select the tariff that applies to them when registering. The GTO reserves the right to reclassify if false information becomes known. If you choose the reduced "Tariff 1", please send us a proof (e.g. certificate of enrollment) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a valid registration it is necessary to confirm and take note of our General Terms and Conditions (AGB). You can read them here (in German only).
The seminar is sponsored by ENGAGEMENT GLOBAL on behalf of BMZ.